Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fever Dream

I watch as he drag her to the dance floor, slow dancing in a blur of yellow lights and plaid shirts. I slouch on our table, sucking on a bottle of beer. The deal with these things is that you're supposed to find someone interesting and get laid and be alone the following morning. At least that's what she told me. 

You've been alone for four years get the fuck out of here, she said. We were lying on her apartment's rooftop, smoking and whining about our miserable lives. I don't need a boyfriend, I told her. I really don't. Sleep, Work, Porn is my Eat, Pray, Love! We changed dealers after that.

The place is teeming with people. A few good-looking, a few smart-looking. This whole party is a bad idea. I weave my way to the terrace to have a smoke. A skinny guy walks against my direction. For years I've managed to master the act of ignoring good-looking guys. I see one, I get excited for a second, and then I forget. This guy, however, is particularly hard to ignore. I give it a few seconds before I detach my gaze. He keeps his eyes straight and walk away. Good-looking straight guys are a huge waste. Mother earth made a lot of gay people in the past years to keep the population down. Thank god. 

Take in a lot of air, release just as much, keep walking. 

I look over the balustrade and sulk. I take my phone out and text my friend. I tell her I'm leaving in a few minutes. I finish my cigarette and head out. After squeezing my way through the door, I take another cigarette and light it. I think about other places to go, and as usual, all I can think of is my apartment. Going home to a nice bed and a fluffy cat is the best thought in the world. A guy wearing a black shirt catch my attention. He just came out of the pub too, and is now walking the other way. He looks a bit like myself and he seem to have had a lousy night as I did. I think for a moment. I smile and let happy thoughts creep up on me for a while.

I take a drag on my cigarette and walk home. 



Take Me Dancing - The Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment

-